Wednesday, February 22, 2012

1991 Dodge Ram D350 Cummins Customization - Part 1

I bought this truck on February 18th, 2006, with the intention of doing the appropriate body work to do a customized paint job with John Deere Green (what other colors are there?). Unfortunately, after replacing the throwout bearing, pilot bushing, upper and lower ball joints, and installing new brakes, the truck was parked in the shed for 5 1/2 years until I graduated from college. Other things took priority and my under-estimation of the amount of work it would take to do the job correctly quickly discouraged me. Other than going out to the shed to do the occassional "start-up" to make sure it wasn't dead, the truck did not move. Now, in 2012, we have gotten back to working on it and are starting to make real progess on getting the job done.

I am using this blog as a way to track the project and help illustrate progress that is made (and hopefully get tips, advice, and/or interest from others). I have not decided how I will divide up the individual blogs (e.g. if I will split them into differents aspects of the project or simply in given time frames), but given the variability in our work methods, it will probably be more focused on time. The text applies to the picture above it.




Here is how the truck looks presently (except for the driver-side fender, which has been removed). This leaves only the cab (save the doors) and splashpan attached to the truck, all other pieces have been removed so that body work and paint prepping can be done properly. I believe pictures of the truck in its original condition when I bought it do exist, but are not currently accessible. I hope to have those soon, you'll probably laugh that someone would spend money on something so rough. However, I've always loved this style of truck and will very proud if we complete it, knowing no other like it exists.



The cab has been stripped down to where only the wiring harness, steering colum and wheel, and rubber backing for the cab-side of the firewall remain. As this is being written, substantial progress has been made on this part of the project, but I will provide pictures and details in the next blog. I want to focus solely on the very start (Ground Zero) of the project in this one.


The dash has been removed (obviously) as well as all other interior molding pieces. All will be painted the same color (this process has been started). I am having difficulty finding replacement molding for the interior, so if anyone has any leads on that I would greatly appreciate it. Some of the pieces have been cracked or completely broken and I would prefer to replace them if possible, although I would imagine only whole sets can be purchased from anyone other than a salvage yard.


The powerhouse - 5.9 Liter Cummins Turbo Diesel 5 Speed - 317,000 miles. 1989 - 1993 models of this truck are known as "First Generation." The series is now in its 4th generation, which includes 2010 and newer models.


Like the driver seat? Yes, it runs.

I welcome all comments and advice along the way. This is as much a learning process as it is anything else. My dad is the real brains behind the operation. From his late teens to well into his 20's, he did body and mechanical work on vehicles for a living, so his experience is invaluable and his patience with doing the job right will properly be more appreciated by me when the project is done that it is right now... One thing I will not disclose until the project is completed is the amount paid for the truck, paint, or any other parts of the project (I'd rather finish it and be proud of it than think of the money that is currently sitting in a shed, so to speak). Thanks for reading!

1 comment: